July 01, 2015
Pension Reform Legislation Update – Senate Bill 1 (SB 1) passes in House and Senate; awaits action by the Governor
On June 30, 2015, SB 1 advanced in the General Assembly and was passed in both the House and Senate. The bill has been forwarded to the Governor for consideration.
Please note: SB 1 does not impact already retired PSERS members or members who retire before July 1, 2016.
A summary of some of the key changes in SB1 that impact current and new PSERS members is available here.
A full detailed copy of the SB 1 can be found on the General Assembly’s website at: www.legis.state.pa.us and by typing the bill number, SB1, in the search field.
PSERS will continue to closely monitor legislative activity and will
keep you updated if any pension reform legislation, including SB 1,
Commonwealth Budget Impasse Information
If you have questions about how a budget impasse
will affect operations, please see FAQs here:
Secure Member Website Unavailable July 10 at 6:00 p.m.
The PSERS secure member website will be unavailable due to maintenance on July 10 at 6:00 p.m. We will restore the site as quickly as possible once the maintenance has been completed. We apologize for any inconvenience.
June 16, 2015
Press Release: PSERS posts March 31, 2015 quarterly investment performance; Fund earned 2.82% for the quarter and 7.93% for the one-year period ended March 31, 2015
May 14, 2015
Pension Reform: Update
Pension reform remains a top legislative issue in Harrisburg.
April 24, 2015
Attention All PSERS Members: Notice of Telephone Scam
PSERS Acting Executive Director Terrill J. Sanchez today issued an alert to all PSERS’ active and retired members about a recurring telephone scam in which PSERS’ members are contacted by individuals claiming to be with the U.S. Treasury or Internal Revenue Service. These individuals state there is an issue with their PSERS’ benefit. This is a telephone scam and members should immediately hang up.
“PSERS’ members should remain alert to these types of telephone scams,” Sanchez said. “These individuals can be aggressive and may call multiple times. It is important to never give out any personal information or account information. Protect yourself by not speaking with the caller. Simply hang up.”
This telephone scam is very similar to a well-known IRS scam. More information on the IRS scam can be found at: http://www.treasury.gov/tigta/press/press_tigta-2015-01_home.htm
Other tips for avoiding phone or email scams:
- Never give out personal information over the telephone.
- Never give out billing information over the phone, especially if you receive an unsolicited telephone call from a stranger.
- Never forget that you are in control. You can always hang up, find a company's number and call it directly.
- Remember this rule of thumb: never give out sensitive information to anyone on the phone unless you initiated the call to a company you are certain is legitimate.
April 15, 2015
Public School Employees’ Retirement System Board of Trustees selects State Representative Glen R. Grell as new Executive Director.
April 6, 2015
Acting Executive Director Named
On March 27, 2015 Ms. Terrill Sanchez was named Acting Executive Director of PSERS, effective April 4, 2015.
April 3, 2015
Active Certified and Active Non-Certified Member Elections
The PSERS Board of Trustees will conduct two elections this fall. One is for an active certified member and one for an active non-certified member, each to serve a three-year term on the Board beginning January 1, 2016.
Members desiring to run for election for the active certified member seat must:
- Be an active certified member of the System (Certified voting status designated on the annual Statement of Account).
- Submit an affidavit and nominating petition with 500 or more valid signatures of other PSERS active certified members.
- Submit a completed biographical form.
Members desiring to run for election for the active non-certified member seat must:
- Be an active non-certified member of the System (Non-certified voting status designated on the annual Statement of Account).
- Submit an affidavit and nominating petition with 250 or more valid signatures of other PSERS active non-certified members.
- Submit a completed biographical form.
To receive a nomination packet and more information on the duties and
responsibilities of Board members, interested members may write to:
PSERS Election Coordinator
5 North 5th Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Please be sure to specify in your request that you want information on the active certified or active non-certified member seat. Your completed affidavit, nominating petition, and biographical form must be returned to Shirley Jones at the PSERS Headquarters address by 4:30 p.m. on June 19, 2015. Late receipt will disqualify any candidate from the election ballot.